I was supposed to post last week, but I procrastinated a little too much. Fortunately, I didn’t slack off on the ear training.
I’ve found the major/mnor second training to proceed well. I have not mastered it yet: I think the benchmark of mastery I am looking for is to be able to get 100% for at least a week straight, but I have managed to get into the 90’s. I decided to try adding in thirds, as track my perofrmance on a mix of seconds and thirds. I started this part way through the last couple weeks, but for this I am starting with only 50 attempts instead of 100, as my performance is still too slow and inconsistent for 100 attempts.
- 81%, 7m 24s
- 76%, 6m 54s
- 83%, 5m 52s
- Seconds: 82%, 5m 30s
- Seconds + Thirds: 50%, 5m 6s
- Seconds: 83%, 5m 11s
- Seconds + Thirds: 39%, 5m 36s
- Seconds: 89%, 5m 3s
- Seconds + Thirds:Â N/A
- Seconds: 85%, 5m 1s
- Seconds + Thirds: 28%, 4m 43s
- Seconds: 90%, 5m 4s
- Seconds + Thirds: 40%, 4m 29s
- Seconds: 90%, 4m 49s
- Seconds + Thirds: 48%, 4m 55s
- Seconds: 88%, 5m 24s
- Seconds + Thirds: 38%, 5m 55s
- Seconds: 94%, 5m 55s
- Seconds + Thirds: 60%, 7m 41s
- Seconds: 84%, 6m 24s
- Seconds + Thirds: 40%, 8m 53s
- Seconds: 85%, 5m 24s
- Seconds + Thirds: 38%, 7m 31s
- 9/22 – N/A
- Seconds: 93%, 4m 24s
- Seconds + Thirds: 52%, 5m 11s
So progress is still happening. Today I had my best score vs time rating on seconds so far. Seconds and Thirds are still very inconsistent, my brain is still learning how to hear those, I’ll keep that up and see what happens
- As I’ve improved, the degree to which wrong answers affect me has decreased. In the past, getting one wrong had a tendency to lead to more wrong ones, which lead to getting many wrong in the latter half of the attempts. I’ve at maintaining the same performance through the sessions.
- The need for warming up has decreased. I don’t need as much practice to get into condition to get high success rates. It does still help, especially with getting faster times.
- I’ve found that on questions where my conscious mind is leading me astray, I’ll have an unconscious impulse to choose the other answer, which always turns out to be correct. This tells my that I am learning to do this intuitively without conscious thought, which is great for doing it faster, and achieving natural performance.
- I still don’t find it to help me much when listening to music, but I do feel that I have a better sense of the space. I think at some point I need to add something to my practice that tests this in terms of the tasks I actually want to accomplish, but I can wait a bit longer to do that. Maybe until I can handl intervals up to 5ths, but we’ll see.
Overall, I find it is still working, though I think I need to practice a bit more. Practice time seems to have fallen off a bit, but in theory my daily 15 minutes should be sufficient and anything else is extra. I will continue down this path for now.