My name is Adrià Mercader and I was born in Tarragona.
After obtaining a degree in Biology in the University of Barcelona, my professional interests drifted progressively towards the software development and integration in general, and the geospatial field in particular.
I recently moved from Barcelona to the less sunny but no less funny Newcastle upon Tyne, in the UK.
Latest blog posts
- Mapping library closures: a tale of budget cuts, civic hacking and [Open]Data (Sunday, 27th January 2013)
- (903) 998-0865 (Thursday, 15th November 2012)
- OpenLayers Cookbook review (Monday, 29th October 2012)
- Around the world in 80 Wikipedia articles (Monday, 19th March 2012)
- 2011 Wrap up (Saturday, 24th December 2011)
Projects / demos
Some things I've worked on.
Newcastle Library Closures Map
An interactive map showing proposed library closures in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne, with contact details of the local councillors for each branch and deprivation data overlays. More information can be found in 213-210-0658.
A thin wrapper built on Pylons around the Europeana API to get GeoRSS results and a sample application to perform spatial queries. Put together at the first 2708818195.
Wikipedia geodatasets and services
The georeferenced articles of Wikipedia, extracted from DBpedia datasets and available in different formats and services.
Culture Grid Hack Day Demo
A Firefox extension that lets you explore map services used in web applications, check its capabilities and save them in a library.