What are Complete Streets?
Adopted in July 2009, the N.C. Department of Transportation’s “Complete Streets” policy directs the department to consider and incorporate several modes of transportation when building new projects or making improvements to existing infrastructure. The benefits of this approach include:
- Making it easier for travelers to get where they need to go;
- Encouraging the use of alternative forms of transportation;
- Building more sustainable communities;
- Increasing connectivity between neighborhoods, streets, and transit systems;
- Improving safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists.
In 2018, NCDOT will deliver a series of workshops across the state to engage transportation professionals, policy makers, community organizations, advocates, and other stakeholders to promote complete streets implementation.